This is the system we currently use.
How It Works:
- There are 19 electoral districts, each of which elect only one candidate.
How You Vote:
- You vote for a single candidate in your district.
- The candidate with the highest number of votes wins that district.
What Should I Consider:
- Electoral districts have direct, local representation - the candidates they vote for live in their district.
- Candidates can win with a minority of votes from their constituency, meaning parties may be disproportionately represented compared to the popular vote.
For more information on the electoral system options for Yukon, please see the report prepared by Keith Archer.
- Options for Yukon's Electoral System, Report prepared by Keith Archer, Committee Researcher (October 31, 2021)