How It Works:
- There are 19 electoral districts, each of which elect only one candidate.
How You Vote:
- You vote for a single candidate in your district.
- The candidate with a majority of votes wins.
What If There is No Majority Winner:
- If no candidate receives a majority of votes after the first round of voting, the top two candidates participate in a run-off election where the winner receives the majority of votes.
What Should I Consider:
- Electoral districts have direct, local representation - the candidates they vote for live in their district.
- Candidates ultimately win a majority of votes, and even though a candidate may be a voter’s second choice, having a run-off election (as opposed to a ranked ballot) means that a candidate cannot win without directly receiving a majority of votes.
For more information on the electoral system options for Yukon, please see the report prepared by Keith Archer.
- Options for Yukon's Electoral System, Report prepared by Keith Archer, Committee Researcher (October 31, 2021)