The Yukon Legislative Assembly’s Standing Committee on Public Accounts has released a report on the Yukon Housing Corporation and the Department of Health and Social Services’ progress on addressing recommendations from the Auditor General of Canada. The independent auditor’s report on improving how the Government of Yukon responds to vulnerable Yukoners’ housing needs was released on May 25, 2022 and can be accessed at https://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/yuk_202205_e_44074.html.
The Public Accounts Committee received submissions from the Yukon Housing Corporation, the Department of Health and Social Services, and several community organizations. The committee held a public hearing on the matter on January 31, 2023.
The committee’s report makes note of what has been done to address the issues highlighted by the Auditor General and where more work is needed. The report includes 6 recommendations:
- Recommendation No. 1: THAT the Yukon Housing Corporation track and assess changes to improve waiting list modelling forecasts and report back to the Standing Committee on Public Accounts with data that determines the effectiveness of such changes.
- Recommendation No. 2: THAT that the Yukon Housing Corporation and the Department of Health and Social Services consult with stakeholders about the possibility of using the by-name list to assess the veracity of their own waiting lists.
- Recommendation No. 3: THAT the Yukon Housing Corporation consult with stakeholder groups about the new tenant allocation policy, as well as any further changes that are planned to the prioritization system and eligibility requirements.
- Recommendation No. 4: THAT the Yukon Housing Corporation review the eligibility thresholds including the Yukon Housing Corporation asset cap policy annually.
- Recommendation No. 5: THAT the Yukon Housing Corporation should consult with the Association of Yukon Communities on plans to complete community needs assessments in the remaining six communities in the 2023-24 fiscal year.
- Recommendation No. 6: THAT the Yukon Housing Corporation consider ways to better ensure that capital management plans are demonstrably informed by the community needs assessment that it conducts.