Ombudsman, Information and Privacy Commissioner and Public Interest Disclosure Commissioner
Closing Date: 4:00 p.m. June 24, 2022
Salary: Base salary $213,490 plus 12% in-lieu of pension and 8% in-lieu of benefits for a total of $256,188 per annum.
The Yukon Legislative Assembly is accepting applications for the position of Ombudsman, Information and Privacy Commissioner and Public Interest Disclosure Commissioner. The position is an independent officer of the Legislative Assembly.
The successful applicant will be appointed by the Commissioner in Executive Council to a 5-year term on the recommendation of the Legislative Assembly and may be reappointed.
The Ombudsman, Information and Privacy Commissioner and Public Interest Disclosure Commissioner is an independent officer of the Legislative Assembly.
The Ombudsman investigates complaints about fairness of public administration under the Ombudsman Act.
The Ombudsman also serves as the Yukon’s Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC) and, as such, is charged with fulfilling the duties of that position in accordance with the provisions of the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (ATIPPA) and the Health Information Privacy and Management Act (HIPMA).
The Ombudsman also serves as the Yukon’s Public Interest Disclosure Commissioner and, as such, is charged with fulfilling the duties of that position in accordance with provisions of the Public Interest Disclosure of Wrongdoing Act.
For learn more about this opportunity contact Helen Fitzsimmons, Director – Administration, Finance & Systems at 867-667-5618 or email Helen.Fitzsimmons@yukon.ca.
Please submit your resume and cover letter clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications. Please note that selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume.
- Post graduate degree, preferably in law.
- Experience in negotiation and mediation, collaborative problem solving, facilitation and conflict resolution.
- Proven record of executive level decision making and achievements.
- Knowledge of the administration of law by the public and health sectors.
- Clear understanding of the role of an independent officer of the Yukon Legislative Assembly in relation to the Legislative Assembly, government, and the public.
- Experience interpreting and applying legislation.
- Practical knowledge and understanding of the Ombudsman Act, Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Public Interest and Wrongdoing Act and the Health Information Privacy and Management Act.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of administrative law and the principles of procedural fairness and natural justice and fairness in reaching decisions.
- Experience with public communication methods, training, and outreach development.
- Working knowledge of the parliamentary system, government functions and processes and the public sector.
- Experience developing working relationships with senior executives, public officials, and custodians.
- Strong financial, supervision and visionary leadership skills.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies and their relationship to privacy and access issues, including cybersecurity, and the risks associated.
- Experience conducting investigations and writing decisions on complex and sensitive issues.
- At least 7 years senior management experience in a related field to the three mandates.
- Knowledge of the Yukon and its people would be an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional verbal, listening, written and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to effectively communicate with clients and stakeholders in the community and other jurisdictions.
- Excellent analytical and investigative skills.
- Strong critical and strategic thinking skills.
- Ability to lead, influence and negotiate innovative solutions to complex and diverse issues with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to act with impartiality.
Conditions of Employment:
- Valid Yukon Class 5 driver’s license.
- Some travel will be required.
Selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide. We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must be able to work in Canada.